Here’s a couple of things that you need to know before getting your first tattoo. Some of them are “common knowledge” but others are proper “tattoo tips”.
Choosing you tattooist
Check the portfolios of the artist or artists that you prefer. Look for the things that you want to incorporate into your tattoo. Don’t feel uncomfortable to ask your preferred artist if he (she) is willing to work on your first tattoo. A lot of tattoo artist are preferring some style of tattoo work. So if you like his (hers) old school tattoos portfolio that doesn’t mean that he (she) is going to do your geometrical design
Consultation / Price quote
Now when you choose your tattoo artist it’s time for the consultation and first talk about your new tattoo. Now is the time of social networking and the communication on Viber, Instagram and Facebook etc. are blooming. However there’s a lot of things that can be done via internet but there are few things that need to be done in person like measurements, positioning, and details. Here is always the subject of money so the price quote will be elaborated
After the price quote is established you’re going to leave a deposit (it varies from shop to shop). ALL DEPOSITS ARE NON-REFUNDABLE!! They are gone be used for drawing and researching for combinations for your new tattoo. If you want to reschedule or cancel your tattoo appointment please do that 48h prior to you tattooing session. This way you’re going to leave some space for your artist to fill the opened session. Keep in mind that tattooing is a specific profession. That means NO WORK NO MONEY.
Will it hurt?
Yes, it will. But that’s not a pain that is unbearable. We all need to understand that not all people “feels” this pain the same and not all body parts hurts the same. It can go from ticklish to burning (stinging) sensation. It’s important to breathe normally (don’t hold your breath) and some other thing that we are going to talk about in the next theme.
Don’t drink / Get enough sleep / Drink plenty of water / Cancel if you are sick / inform you artist about any medical conditions that you might have.
D day or T day
- Show on time!
- Wear appropriate (comfortable) clothing. If it’s a summer watch for sunburns on the place that you want tattooed. Shower!
- Eat! Blood sugar drops are one of the most responsible causes of fainting during the tattoo process
- Don’t bring 10 friends to your tattoo session. One is more than enough
- Don’t bring your kids!
- Get a bottle of water and something sweet (chocolate)
- Don’t shave the area that’s is going to be tattooed (some irritations are possible)
- Don’t take any aspirin, ibuprofen, caffeine and energy drinks (they are blood thinners and heart rate boosters)
- Be still. It’s very difficult to work on a moving client. Breathing is the answer
- Inform your artist if you are scared, nervous or getting sick. They’ve seen it all and they know how to help. So communicate with him (her)
- Take a break if you need to and use it wisely (stretch, go to the toilet, eat or drink)
- There’s no stupid question. Feel free to ask anything
- Follow your artist aftercare instructions (Call your artist if anything that you don’t understand or know is happening)
- Rest after the tattoo
- Spread the word! There no better commercial than a good word