If you are interested in getting a tattoo that speaks of peacefulness and harmony, then you can’t go wrong with a Yin Yang tattoo design. Chinese philosophy is all about the Yin Yang symbols, which make some pretty cool designs. The Ying Yang stands for balance in life. Yin Yang represents the opposites that interact with one another and the kinds of conflicts that are brought into our lives. According to Chinese belief, if your Ying Yang is out of balance, then it can bring evil into your life. Goodness will only return when balance comes into your life.
The Philosophical Concept
The yin yang symbolizes the belief that duality forms a whole as well that opposing elements co-exist and even complement each other. Real-life examples of this concept are presented through female and male, dark and light, young and old, good and bad. The yin (black half) stands for femininity, softness, and passiveness, whereas the Yang (white half) stands for masculinity, strength, and creativity.
The Significance of the Design
- The yin yang is a circle divided by undulating lines. This design symbolizes the concept of separate halves blending into one, as each half rotates continuously towards each other to form a whole.
- You will also notice that neither half is superior to the other. When one side increases, the other decreases. This symbolizes the strengths and weaknesses in all things, and the need to depend on others in areas where we are weak and to help others in areas where we are strong.
- Each half also carries a small dot of the opposite color, and by that indicates that each half shares a slight characteristic of the other side.
Yin Yang Tattoo Meanings
When this tattoo represents human nature, the yin yang is a reminder that we all have good and bad qualities. No one is purely evil or a complete saint. To find happiness, we must strive to balance the good and the bad conditions within us.
- Unity: This concept is popular with couples. Some couples will each get half of the yin yang on their wrist. In this way, when they hold hands, the halves come together to form a complete yin yang symbol.
- Balance: This principle is popular with those who value work and play. Nighttime allows us to relax and rest, and the day will enable us to be productive. Without rest, we cannot work, and without work, and at the same time, we would not have the desire to rest.
- Wholeness: We all have something that completes us, and without it, we cannot be whole. This concept is excellent for those who have a strong passion for a hobby, or a job that they feel makes them complete.
- The cycle of Life: Each half represents life and death, and the circular design and motion of the two halves swirling into each other symbolize the life cycle.
- Renewal: This principle is usually shown by a yin yang tattoo that incorporates the sun and moon in each half. It serves as a reminder that after every night, there is a brand new day that allows us to start anew.
- Harmony: Two different forces can work together. For instance, the sun and the moon work together to create time, and heat and coldness work together to create warmth. The concept of harmony can also be connected to music, and some people like to include musical instruments that complement each other, like a violin and a piano.
There are several different variations of Yin Yang Tattoo Ideas. These are some of them:
Yin Yang Lotus Tattoo
In Eastern cultures and Buddhism, the lotus is a famous symbol. The lotus flower symbolizes purity and strength because it grows from the mud, yet it is still beautiful and untainted. This flower blooms in the morning, and many believe that this timing represents spiritual awakening. In combination with the yin yang, this tattoo symbolizes the struggle between sin and enlightenment, and the ultimate triumph of spirituality.
Yin Yang and Eye Design
A combination of the eyeball and the yin yang in the iris stands for focus and clear vision.
Yin Yang and Heart
The blend of these two symbols reminds the wearer that love is never perfect—that there are always positive and negative aspects in any relationship, but that the key to happiness is finding balance.
This design is trendy and depicts the sun and the moon in each half of the yin yang symbol. A sun tattoo usually stands for rebirth, while a moon tattoo symbolizes putting the past behind you. This design not only looks cool but, at the same time, is a striking visual reminder that after each night, there is another day—another chance to do it all over again.
A tiger and dragon tattoo symbolizes the balance of power. In Chinese culture, a tiger tattoo represents strength and hard power because the tiger bullies and dominates his subjects. Conversely, the dragon uses wisdom as a tool of leadership, so a dragon tattoo symbolizes intelligence and soft power. The tiger and the dragon are complete opposites but combined, and they rule the heavens and the earth.
Yin Yang Tree
The tree of life and the yin yang symbol is a common pairing. Together, these two images reinforce the belief that for something to grow and be fruitful, it must first maintain balance despite opposing forces. If the roots of the tree are located in one half, and the treetop is located in the other half, then this tattoo design represents the cycle of life and death. A tree tattoo’s meaning also depends on the type of tree, so be sure to do your research and talk to your tattoo artist so they can design the right concept.
Two Koi Fish
In feng shui, koi fish are attached to the yin yang symbol—one fish is male, and the other is female. They are usually depicted in opposite colors (black and white) swimming in a circular motion. The fish represent two opposites that are attracted to one another, and, together, they symbolize the balanced forces that govern our universe. Koi fish tattoos also carry many other meanings, such as determination, because these fish swim upstream.
The hamsa is recognized as a hand symbol with an eye that is located on the palm. This is a famous symbol in the Middle East and Northern Africa. The hand signifies the hand of God, and it is believed the wearer will have good luck and shelter from the “evil eye.” Some people like to incorporate the yin yang symbol into the eye to show that they value balance and moderation.
Yin Yang and Wings
Wing tattoos are rich with meaning, and they generally symbolize spirituality, enlightenment, guidance, and inspiration. When tied to the yin yang, it illustrates the wearer’s desire for harmony in their spiritual life or an open mind when making decisions.
Dolphin and Yin Yang
A pair of dolphins is an excellent conveyer of the yin yang symbol because they epitomize the notion of living in harmony with nature.